News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

registering

Started by Amund, December 21, 2015, 11:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amund

hi guys,ive done my conversion on my nissan 14oo but i cant register it on the road,i did drive it on the road but after 2 warnings from police it is now standing in the garage collecting dust for about 2 years now.

ive tried every trick in the book but with no succes to register my bakkie as an electric vehicle

Amund

hier is n pic van my bakkie

Paul Drake

https://www.gov.za/services/register-motor-vehicle/register-motor-vehicle

Hi there, I suggest having a look at the government web page.
It looks like the best is to re register the vehicle as a rebuild.

Leo

Hi to all. I converted a motorcycle to electric in 2013 and have done about 20000km since including 3 rebuilds. Up to the beginning of this year (2017) I worked as an auditor for the SABS, right next to the government NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications). Currently there is no way to register a vehicle converted to electric since the government has not adopted a specification covering such conversions. There is a specification available but it must be first adopted and published in the government gazette. Then the NRCS must police it by auditor inspections of conversion facilities and competence of staff performing the conversion. Then the vehicle itself must be inspected by a technically qualified inspector, at a nationally accredited laboratory, and must pass the tests. None of this is possible currently because no one at NRCS is technically qualified or competent, no laboratory that is nationally accredited against this specification exists and I seriously doubt whether the specification has yet been adopted.
What all this means is that it is impossible to register a converted electric vehicle currently.
The only way around this is to keep the vehicle registered as a ICE vehicle. I spent close on R5k trying to register my first conversion only to be told, after spending all that money and wasted time, was that they can't help me.
I don't know if the situation has changed during the year but, knowing how slow government departments are, chances are that they haven't. Very sad for forward thinking people trying to save the planet.

Mike

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the insight into the closed door systems. Just a quick question but I am working with a new company (thulasolutions.com) designing and building EVs from the ground up and we were not sure at all where we should start the process of registering as an OEM.

If you have any clues that would be hugely appreciated.

Quote from: Leo on November 24, 2017, 01:13:54 PMHi to all. I converted a motorcycle to electric in 2013 and have done about 20000km since including 3 rebuilds. Up to the beginning of this year (2017) I worked as an auditor for the SABS, right next to the government NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications). Currently there is no way to register a vehicle converted to electric since the government has not adopted a specification covering such conversions. There is a specification available but it must be first adopted and published in the government gazette. Then the NRCS must police it by auditor inspections of conversion facilities and competence of staff performing the conversion. Then the vehicle itself must be inspected by a technically qualified inspector, at a nationally accredited laboratory, and must pass the tests. None of this is possible currently because no one at NRCS is technically qualified or competent, no laboratory that is nationally accredited against this specification exists and I seriously doubt whether the specification has yet been adopted.
What all this means is that it is impossible to register a converted electric vehicle currently.
The only way around this is to keep the vehicle registered as a ICE vehicle. I spent close on R5k trying to register my first conversion only to be told, after spending all that money and wasted time, was that they can't help me.
I don't know if the situation has changed during the year but, knowing how slow government departments are, chances are that they haven't. Very sad for forward thinking people trying to save the planet.