Author Topic: general  (Read 464 times)

deon

• View Profile
general
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »
Hi alli whould like tomeet up wiyh EV techs  from port elizabeth  to share ideas with

Alan1234

• View Profile
Re: general
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
Hi, I've put an electric motor in my beachbuggy and love it !! .. 7.5kw series motor with curtis controller at 48v. my battery layout is 8 105ah lead acid deep cycle batteries.. 2 banks of 4 wired in series, paralleled together.. it goes along at 70 to 80kph but only has a range of about 25 to 30 kms.. any ideas how to cheaply increase this ??
 cheers Alan Port Elizabeth..     :-)

Barry Badenhorst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: general
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:47:48 PM »
With 8 x 105Ahr 6V batteries the amount of energy stored will be about 105x6x8 =  5040Whr. Due to the Peukert effect of lead acid batteries the amount of energy available from this battery, while delivering currents as required for an EV, will be approximately half of 5040Whr. A beachbuggy typically has an energy consumption of around 100 Whr/km. Therefore the range you can expect is more or less (5040/2)/100 = 25 km.

Lithium batteries do not have this Peukert effect and they last for thousands of charge/discharge cycles. (3 years v.s. 10 years). They are also less than a quarter of the weight of lead acid batteries and will therefore contribute to improve the EV's energy consumption. (less weight,more range). In the longer term, it is more cost effective to use lithium batteries in stead of lead acid batteries. You can order lithium batteries, suitable for EVs, from this local site.

http://www.freedomwon.co.za/e-mobility/e-mobility-in-motion