Author Topic: Ev converted motorcycle registration?  (Read 180 times)

Umbra

• View Profile
Ev converted motorcycle registration?
« on: August 20, 2018, 11:45:08 PM »
Is it possible to register a motorcycle that was converted to electric?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:48:18 PM by Umbra »

Barry Badenhorst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ev converted motorcycle registration?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »
If the motorcycle was a registered vehicle before the conversion, it can be re-registered by following the normal engine-change procedure. "Register a modified vehicle" https://www.gov.za/services/register-motor-vehicle/register-motor-vehicle

Umbra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
If the motorcycle was a registered vehicle before the conversion, it can be re-registered by following the normal engine-change procedure. "Register a modified vehicle" https://www.gov.za/services/register-motor-vehicle/register-motor-vehicle

Thank you for the answer!

Even if it was converted to an ev from ice? That really gets my hopes up.... but what if it is a bike I just got (secondhand)? I want to know this stuff before I go buy it... but this makes me really hopeful...

Barry Badenhorst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
If you buy a secondhand bike, you have to take it trough the road test in order to have it registered in your name. Once you are the registered owner and are paying the licence yearly, you can modify it. Usually people change the engine, in your case you also do that, the engine only happens to be an electric motor and the petrol tank is changed to a battery, much safer! If you need further assistance, contact us on marbad.b@gmail.com
Regards.